In the Spring 2021 semester, USC will be having Wellness Days during March and April instead of a mid-March Spring Receess. Here is the link from the Provost email announcing these. Wellness days are described as ” a day on which there will be no classes and no classwork expected of students. Students are encouraged to use this time to rest, exercise, and connect with friends and family.”
Spring 2021 Wellness Days
- Friday, March 12
- Tuesday, March 23
- Wednesday, April 7
- Thursday, April 22
- Friday, April 30
Previously, April 30 was scheduled to be the last day of classes for Spring 2021. April 30 will now be the final Wellness Day before Study Days begin.
USC KCLC has compiled a list of resources if you are looking for ways to integrate wellness, self-care, and stress management into your Wellness Days.
Here is an activity where you challenge yourself to try different restorative activities and get a bingo: 5 across or diagonal. For an extra challenge, go for blackout: where you complete every square.
How to take a break from social media: https://kortschakcenter.usc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/How-to-Take-a-Break-from-Social-Media.pdf
Selfcare during quarantine: https://kortschakcenter.usc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Self-Care-During-Quarantine.pdf
How to meditate: https://kortschak.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/How-to-Meditate.pdf
Mindfulness and relaxation: https://kortschakcenter.usc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Mindfulness-and-Relaxation-Printer-Friendly.pdf
5 minutes in nature: https://kortschakcenter.usc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/5-Minutes-in-Nature.pdf
Hiking in and around LA: https://kortschak.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Hiking-Guide-Part-I.pdf
Tips for stress management: https://kortschakcenter.usc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Tips-for-Stress-Management.pdf
- Carol Dweck’s Mindset
- Helena Seli & Myron Dembo’s Motivation & Learning Strategies for College Success
- Marty Seligman’s Learned Optimism
- Charles Duhigg’s The Power of Habit
- Timothy Pychyl’s Solving the Procrastination Puzzle
- Dave Cole & Jonathan Mooney’s Learning Outside the Lines
- Brock Eide & Fernette Eide’s The Dyslexic Advantage
- Sally Shaywitz’s Overcoming dyslexia
- Russell Barkley’s ADHD and the nature of self-control.
- Russell Barkley’s Taking Charge of ADHD
- Ed Hallowell & John Ratey’s Driven to Distraction
- Ed Hallowell & John Ratey’s Delivered from Distraction
- Ed Hallowell & John Ratey’s Answers to Distraction
- Kate Kelly & Peggy Ramundo’s You mean I’m not lazy, stupid, or crazy?
- Alicia Maher’s From Scattered to Centered
- Gina Pera’s Is it You, Me, or Adult A.D.D.?
- John Elder Robison’s Look me in the Eye
- Sian Bielock’s Choke
- Sian Bielock’s How the Body Knows Its Mind
- Amy Wallace and Ed Catmull’s Creativity, Inc.
- Gerald Tellis’ Unrelenting Innovation