KCLC follows LA County and USC operating procedures. Even though masking is now optional for indoor spaces, it is strongly recommended to wear a mask while gathering with others.
2018-2019 Academic Coaching Staff
What is Academic Coaching?
The mission of Academic Coaching is to empower USC students to become successful and self-directed lifelong learners. Working 1-on-1 with an Academic Coach will help students identify and utilize new learning tools and strategies in order to help students meet their academic and personal goals. Each week coaches help students create their own action plan by identifying priorities and deadlines for the week. Academic Coaching is open to undergraduate students.
What will I gain in Academic Coaching?
In the Academic Coaching Program, students and coaches develop working relationships through weekly meetings and follow up email communications. In the meetings, coaches use a variety of tools to help students improve their time management, study strategies, issues related to attention, focus, and motivation.
Academic Coaches can assist students in the following areas:
- Establish and maintain daily schedules and routines
- Help students establish priorities
- Increase awareness of procrastination and identify ways to get back on track
- Create S.M.A.R.T. goals
- Develop strategies for breaking down projects into manageable and achievable tasks
- Explore self-care/stress management techniques
- Review study strategies including reading, note-taking, writing, and organization
- Assist with exam preparation and test-taking strategies
Academic Coaching is not:
- Subject tutoring ( USC Tutoring Services )
- Individual class tutoring ( USC Tutoring Services )
- Personalized homework assistance
- Paper editing service
- Quick fix/instant improvement for academic struggles
How do I sign up?
For academic coaching assistance, please visit our Drop-in Hours.
If you are an undergraduate student and looking for weekly academic coaching, you will need to attend at least one drop-in, please visit our Drop-in Hours.
If you are a student that has participated in academic coaching in the past, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- What past semesters you were in academic coaching
- Who your past academic coach(es) are/were
- If you would like online or in-person coaching (Please note: based on FERPA regulations, to have academic coaching online, you will need to have video access. Please troubleshoot any Zoom concerns, such as updating to the latest version, before your coaching session
- Your full availability for meeting with an academic coach 10AM-4PM Monday-Friday