The USC Kortschak Center for Learning and Creativity (KCLC) will offer a two-semester, 20 hour per week psychoeducational counseling practicum and fieldwork experience program for USC’s Rossier School of Education Master’s of Marriage and Family Therapy Program beginning May 20, 2020 and ending May 12, 2021.
- Enrollment in USC’s MFT Program
- Be able to fulfill a full three-semester commitment (Summer, Fall, Spring)
- Completion of coursework in the fundamentals of counseling, development, and learning and individual differences
This is an excellent opportunity for psychoeducational counseling experience with undergraduate students seeking services for learning differences, ADHD, and learning disabilities.
Successful candidates will:
- Advance knowledge of basic cognitive and behavioral learning theories, educational learning theories, and organizational skills.
- Gain skills in providing enhanced academic support to undergraduate students at USC
- Utilize a strength-based focus and multidisciplinary approach for understanding individual learning differences
- Gain interpersonal psychoeducational counseling skills in one-on-one meetings
- Increase personal knowledge in the realm of learning disorders, dyslexia, ADHD, and other learning differences
The following are regular weekly activities required for participation in the Practicum Training Program (subject to change):
- Attendance at All Supervision meetings
- Group on Monday afternoons
- Individual on Tuesday afternoons
- Attendance at All Professional Development Seminars Monday mornings
- Attendance at Training Curriculum on Tuesday mornings
- Attendance at Assessment Seminar on Tuesday afternoons
Each trainee (Academic Coach):
- Receives two hours of group supervision and one hour of individual supervision with a licensed Psychologist
- Receives 5 hours of professional development each week
- Carries a caseload each semester of between 8-10 students
- Conducts Intakes with senior staff supervision
- Given the opportunity to facilitate psychoeducational groups and conduct psychoeducational assessments
- Practices administrative component with files, paperwork, progress/process notes, and client logs
- Has flexibility in working hours (open Monday-Friday 9:00-5:00) and follows the University Academic Calendar
- Works in a relaxing and welcoming environment
- Gains experience working in an academic/higher education setting with high collaboration from campus partners including:
- USC Student Counseling Center
- Disability Services and Programs
- Norman Topping Student Aid Fund
- Academic Advisors and Departments
- This is a stipend eligible position
Please submit the following application materials:
- Letter of interest
- Letter of reference from Academic Program Training Director/Fieldwork Course Instructor/Professor
The deadline for all materials is Friday, February 28, 2020.
Application materials can be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews will be conducted in early March 2020.