What is Academic Coaching?
The mission of Academic Coaching is to empower USC students to become successful and self-directed lifelong learners. Working 1-on-1 with an Academic Coach will help students identify and utilize new learning tools and strategies in order to help students meet their academic and personal goals. Each week coaches help students create their own action plan by identifying priorities and deadlines for the week. Academic Coaching is open to undergraduate students.
What will I gain in Academic Coaching?
In the Academic Coaching Program, students and coaches develop working relationships through weekly meetings and follow up email communications. In the meetings, coaches use a variety of tools to help students improve their time management, study strategies, issues related to attention, focus, and motivation.
Academic Coaches can assist students in the following areas:
- Establishing and maintaining daily schedules and routines
- Develop strategies for breaking down projects into manageable and achievable tasks
- Help students establish priorities and create S.M.A.R.T. goals
- Teach strategies for organizational management
- Support students through the decision-making process
- Increase awareness of procrastination and identify ways to get back on track
- Assist with exam preparation and test-taking strategies
Academic Coaching is not:
- Subject tutoring ( USC Tutoring Services )
- Individual class tutoring ( USC Tutoring Services )
- Personalized homework assistance
- Paper editing service
- Quick fix/instant improvement for academic struggles
To ensure the full benefits of this experience, students must commit one-hour per week, per semester. If that does not work in your schedule, Walk-In/Workshops are available weekly (no RSVP needed!)
How do I sign up?
To get started in the Academic Coaching Program, you will need to make an Intake appointment with our office. Please fill out the form below to receive information about how to schedule an Intake.