The USC Kortschak Center for Learning and Creativity (KCLC) will offer a two-semester, 15-20 hour per week psychoeducational counseling practicum and fieldwork experience program for USC’s Rossier School of Education Master’s of Marriage and Family Therapy Program beginning May 17, 2017 and ending May 7, 2018.
- Enrollment in USC’s MFT Program. If you are in another Master’s program, click here for more information on the general Fieldwork we offer.
- Completion of coursework in the fundamentals of counseling, college student development, or learning and individual differences.
- Knowledge of basic educational learning theories, occupational therapy skills
- Be able to complete a full two-semester commitment
This is an excellent opportunity for psychoeducational counseling experience with undergraduate students seeking services for learning differences, ADHD, and learning disabilities.
Successful candidates will:
- Gain skills in providing enhanced academic support to undergraduate students at USC
- Utilize a strength-based focus and multidisciplinary approach for understanding individual learning differences
- Gain interpersonal psychoeducational counseling skills in one-on-one meetings
- Increase personal knowledge in the realm of learning disorders, dyslexia, ADHD, and other learning differences
The following are regular weekly activities required for participation in the Practicum Training Program:
- Attendance at All Supervision meetings as individually scheduled on Tuesday mornings
- Attendance at All Professional Development Seminars Monday mornings (10-12)
- Attendance at Assessment Seminar on Tuesday afternoons (1-2)
- Attendance at Training Curriculum on Tuesday afternoons (2-4)
This is a non-salaried position.
Each trainee (Academic Coach):
- Receives two hours of group supervision and one hour of individual supervision with a licensed Psychologist
- Receives 5 hours of professional development each week
- Carries a caseload each semester of between 8-12 students
- Conducts Intakes with senior staff supervision
- Opportunity to facilitate psychoeducational groups
- Practices administrative component with files, paperwork, progress/process notes, and client logs (private practice training)
- Has flexibility in working hours (open Monday-Friday 8:30-5:00) and follows the University Academic Calendar
- Works in a relaxing and welcoming environment
- Gains experience working in an academic/higher education setting with high collaboration from campus partners including:
- USC Student Counseling Center
- Disability Services and Programs
- Norman Topping Student Fund
- Academic Advisors and Departments
Please submit the following application materials:
- Letter of interest
- Letter of reference from Academic Program Training Director/Fieldwork Course Instructor/Professor
The deadline for all materials is Tuesday, February 28, 2016.
Application materials can be emailed to: email@example.com and cc firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews will be conducted in early March 2017.
Click here for a downloadable flyer of all of the information on this page.